Feeling like things are "on hold" can stop us from setting goals.

Right now it can feel like we're stuck in a holding pattern with no end in sight.

Feeling like things are "on hold" can stop us from setting goals.

This is tough, especially for ambitious "goal getters," because having clear and concrete goals helps us feel motivated, optimistic and excited about life.

Even though it might feel intimidating to create a new habit or set a new goal right now, it might be just what you need to help channel your energy and unlock your creative thinking.

Not sure where to start? This quick guide will help.

  1. Set a small daily goal that motivates you. 

    Ask yourself if your goal truly motivates you. Is it connected to a larger mission beyond yourself? Or was it created to impress others or prove something? Make sure your goal is your own.

    You can use this meditation to help you identify a meaningful goal.  

    Also remember that small changes over time create lasting effects.

    You could commit to something small, but important, like journaling every day for five minutes. Or you could rededicate yourself to your meditation practice. Or dance each morning to one song. Or take one yoga class per week over Zoom.

  2. Make it visual.

    Creating a goal board is a fun way to do this. New to this practice? Check out my step-by-step guide here
  3. Create a deep emotional connection.

    Think about how you want to feel as you move towards and achieve your goal. Connecting with the feelings behind your desire to achieve this habit or goal is the best way to supercharge your motivation. 

  4. Put a supportive plan in place.

    Put some accountability in place to make sure you have the support you need. I recommend having an accountability buddy that you text each day to help keep you on track. You can simply text each other a ✅ each day.

  5. Have a specific outcome and an end date.

    You have to know what "done" means, so you'll actually know you've accomplished your goal and it's ok to stop and celebrate.

    Maybe challenge yourself to keep to your new daily goal until the end of the month? Committing to something forever can feel intimidating, but committing to something for two weeks feels doable.

  6. Write it down.

    It's simple, yet many of us are so busy focusing on what's urgent, that we forget to take the very important action of writing down our goals.

    A Harvard MBA study found that the 3% of graduates who had their goals written down, ended up earning ten times as much as the other 97% put together, just ten years after graduation.

    Pretty convincing, right?

  7. Enjoy the process. The process is the goal.

     The satisfaction of keeping your commitment to yourself through taking consistent action towards your meaningful goal should feel good.

    Some days you might not feel like following through with your goal, but you'll follow through because you'll start to crave the amazing feeling that comes from knowing you're the kind of person that does what you say you'll do. 

    This practice of following through also creates lasting inner strength that will carry over into the rest of your life.